If you're hoping to lose fat, there's a pretty good chance you've tried a lot of methods. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people who are unhappy with their bodies don't succeed in their fat loss goals. That's because they're often using gimmicky weight loss plans that can actually damage their bodies! If you're in this boat, and you don't know how to get rid of the fat while staying healthy, here are a few tips that might get you on the right track.
1. Find out what is causing you to be overweight. If the problem is bad nutrition, then see a dietitian or read books that will teach you how to eat properly. If the problem is more emotional, learn how to take care of your emotions without eating. Some people gain weight because of hormonal issues, and this might be something you want to discuss with your doctor if you want to see results with your fat loss diet. Whatever the problem is - you will be able to handle it better once you know what it is.
2. Learn to be in control. You need to be the one to decide what you will eat. Don't eat food just because it is there. Learn to choose wisely when you eat out, and learn to resist pressure by family and friends to eat "just one" food item. Come up with a long-term plan that will help you be healthy physically and mentally, and don't fall for fad diets that come and go and don't work long term.
3. Instead of eating three big meals, eat small frequent meals. If you eat frequently throughout the day, your metabolism works continuously and burns calories. If you eat big meals your metabolism goes up and down and it is actually harder to lose weight that way. Pay attention to what you eat during these meals and stay away from processed snacks that are high in fat and sugar.
4. Eat slowly and savor the food you are eating. When you eat fast, your body doesn't get a chance to realize that it's full until you've eaten too much. When you chew your food thoroughly you will eat less and enjoy it more.
5. Take baby steps. Do not starve yourself and do not start a fast loss diet that will expect you to make drastic changes. If you want to succeed in your diet it needs to be easy to follow. Take small steps, and get used to them one at a time until you reach your goal.
6. Eat a balanced diet and don't eat processed food. Eating processed food is really bad for you because it is high in fat and sugar. It will cause you to gain weight and put you at risk for diabetes and other physical problems. Foods like lean protein, whole grains, and fruits and vegetables are much better for you and will help you stay healthy in the long run.
7. Drink enough fluids. You need to drink plenty of water, unsweetened teas, and other beverages. It's better to stay away from caffeine and diet sodas because they will not hydrate you well enough. Not drinking enough can cause you to feel hungry when you are really thirsty, so make sure you are drinking enough throughout the day.